Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Fall 2006 Look Ahead

Yes - this means I'm back to blogging. Sorry about the delay.

Looking at summer would have been boring anyway. Summer's usually a lot of hype and only a little substance and this year wasn't much different. Anyway, on to the fall! Remember shows are not sorted in a grade level.

THE A LIST
1) Ghost Hunt - I've actually been wanting to get this manga for awhile. Anything shoujo that falls outside the normal shoujo conventions I consider pretty interesting. Generally I find shoujo is more stereotyped than shonen - at least there's four different kinds of stock shonen shows, there's really only two shoujo ones (unless I get to count BL as a third). This mystery/occult shoujo series sounds right up my alley. Outlook: Favorable - particularly for Del Rey.
2) Black Lagoon 2 - Yeah, like there was any chance I'd be missing this. I'm salivating over the DVDs, my wife missed the first season and didn't want to go back when she found out it was coming to the US. Outlook: Very favorable, for everyone but my wallet.
3) Red Garden - The GONZO series I'm looking forward to the most - from recent experience, I'll probably hate it. Outlook: Initially favorable, but could flip with Pumpkin Scissors with little notice.
4) Negima!? - Could be good, could be bad. It's the team from Pani Poni Dash and Tsukuyomi Moon Phase (good); however, all new adventures is not precisely what I want to hear about my favorite shonen manga of all time. Outlook: Cautiously optimistic.
5) Hataraki Man - Noitamina block mojo, plus (what I consider) interesting subject matter. Look, I like the next high school drama as much as the next guy, but it's hard to be that concerned about what's going on when I know that five years later they're not even going to remember who they were dating. Outlook: Bring on the adults!
THE B LIST
1) Pumpkin Scissors - There's something about GONZO. Rarely do I love a series they do, rarely do I leave them satisfied, but they're almost always an enjoyable watch if nothing else. Per usual the GONZO freaks will probably love it, most people will probably call it overrated, and I'll probably be somewhere in the middle. Outlook: Mild
2)
Yamato Nadeshiko Shichi Henge - Another Del Rey series I've been wanting to start reading for a while now (it's also known as the Wallflower). I have semi-high hopes for this one. I at least expect my wife to find it funny. Outlook: Good, if it's funny
3) Asatte no Houkou - The front runner to replace Zero no Tsukaima/Shakugan no Shana/Tsukuyomi Moon Phase. Outlook: Pretty good (it's JC Staff), but not great (it's JC Staff).
4) Sumomomo Momomo - Yeah, I know. Normally I hate high concept, but this high concept I actually think sounds kind of cool. I'm going to give the manga a half-hearted try and see if it interests me. Outlook: Pretty good
5) Kujibiki Unbalance - Unintentional comedy factor figures to be very high. Outlook: Favorable, though I am concerned that it's going to be impossible to live up to what the Genshiken thinks of it.
6) Ayakashi Ayashi - Never a fan of Blood+ (it's the vampires); however, this has a pretty good chance to be one of my favorite series. Since this is such a high leverage time slot I'm expecting pretty good things. Outlook: Give me 70% of FMA and it'll easily justify the B list.
7) Bartender - Either high on the unintentional comedy scale or seriously great. Either way I win. Outlook: Probably watching all of it.
THE C LIST
1) Tokimeki Memorial - My only real interest is that this is (apparently) actually a game. It's been referenced in so many places (most recently Ouran High Host Club) that I had thought it was like one enormous in-joke. Outlook: Favorable - especially if cheesy.
2) D Gray Man - Interesting idea. There's usually a couple of shonen series that I end up liking every year. Gothic is definitely not my thing, but buzz is high on this one, young jedi. Outlook: Mediocre - it's a Jump title. Rarely do they live up to my expectations.
3) Death Note - I actually think this probably has a slightly better chance than D Gray Man, if only because I wish I could find that note. Outlook - Semi favorable, in a Jigoku Shoujo kind of way.
4)
Mamoru-kun ni Megami no Shukufuku wo! - Mildly looking forward to it. Seems like it could be this season's Tsukuyomi Moon Phase/Shakugan no Shana/Zero no Tsukaima. Outlook: Pretty good - at least if they're doing another one it's a non-loli for once.
5) Kanon - The quintessential sad-girl-in-the-snow anime, from which the meme hath sprung. However, I'm not sure Kyo Ani can elevate this to something I'm dying to see each week. I have no doubt it'll be executed well, but the entire time I'll be fuming about the lack of FMP and MoSH. Outlook: Good that I'll watch it, poorer that I'll actually love it.
6) Gift ~eternal rainbow~ - The sad girl anime I'm expecting to like. I'm getting a serious Da Capo vibe (and not just from the artwork. Hopefully it delivers as well as that series did. Outlook: Pretty favorable, but game-to-animes are pretty much dartboards when guessing.
7) REBORN! - If I were to guess at the Jump title I'm going to like, this would be the one. Comedy always helps. Outlook: Pretty good.

THE D LIST
1) Lovedol ~Lovely Idol - Navel's summer offering this year. Shuffle was fine, Soul link stank, I imagine this will be somewhere in the middle. Outlook: Poor - idol anime does little for me.
2) Yoake Mae Yori Ruriiro na Crescent Love - Another game-to-anime conversion. I'm not even bothering to guess which one I'm likely to like anymore. Honestly plot details between them aren't that distinct either. Outlook: Better than Lovely Idol, not great.
3) Happiness! - Yeah, I'm not to proud to admit it - this is all about Yura Hinata. Outlook: Good that I'll watch every episode that has Kareha-sempai in it and end every one of her sentences "My My My"
4) CODE GEASS - It's all about the CLAMP character designs. Outlook: At least an episode.

No comments: